The Cost of Installing Parquet Flooring in Malaysia: A Breakdown
Parquet flooring's unique patterns, versatile designs, and undeniable elegance have made it a go-to option for people looking to upgrade their homes. However, parquet flooring can be a significant investment. Understanding the various costs involved in installing and maintaining this type of flooring is essential for making an informed decision. This blog post will provide a comprehensive breakdown of the costs of installing parquet flooring in Malaysia, including the cost of materials, installation, and maintenance.
Cost of Materials
Type of Wood
The cost of parquet flooring varies depending on the type of wood used. In Malaysia, the most common types of wood used for parquet flooring are:
- Merbau: Merbau is famous for its durability and termite resistance. The average cost per square foot for Merbau parquet flooring ranges from RM12 to RM18.
- Burmese Teak: Burmese Teak is known for its golden-brown colour and exceptional durability. The cost per square foot for Burmese Teak parquet flooring is approximately RM25 to RM35.
- Kempas: Kempas is a locally sourced wood from Malaysia, known for its reddish-brown colour and affordability. The average cost per square foot for Kempas parquet flooring is between RM8 and RM12.
- Oak: Oak is a popular imported wood species for parquet flooring. The average cost per square foot for Oak parquet flooring ranges from RM20 to RM30.
Pattern and Design
The complexity of the pattern and design of the parquet flooring also affects the overall cost. Some popular patterns include:
- Herringbone: This classic pattern has a zigzag-like design that adds a touch of sophistication to any room. The average cost per square foot for Herringbone parquet flooring is between RM15 and RM25.
- Chevron: The Chevron pattern resembles Herringbone but has a more angled, V-shaped design. The average cost per square foot for Chevron parquet flooring ranges from RM18 to RM28.
- Basketweave: This pattern features rectangular wood pieces woven together to create a unique design. The average cost per square foot for Basketweave parquet flooring is between RM12 and RM22.
- Custom designs: Custom designs can significantly increase the cost of parquet flooring. Depending on the complexity, custom-designed parquet flooring can cost anywhere from RM25 to RM50 per square foot.
Cost of Installation
Several factors, including the size of the area, the complexity of the pattern, and the installer's experience, influence the cost of installing parquet flooring. Generally, installation costs range from RM3 to RM10 per square foot. However, installation costs can differ depending on the location and the project's specific requirements.
Cost of Maintenance
Parquet flooring requires regular maintenance to keep it looking its best. The cost of maintaining your parquet flooring will depend on the frequency and type of upkeep required. Some common maintenance tasks include:
- Sanding and Refinishing: Over time, parquet flooring may show signs of wear and tear, such as scratches or dullness. Sanding and refinishing can restore the beauty of your flooring. On average, sanding and refinishing costs RM5 to RM10 per square foot.
- Repair and Replacement: Damaged parquet pieces may need to be repaired or replaced. Repair costs vary depending on the extent of the damage and the type of wood used. Replacement costs can range from RM10 to RM20 per square foot, considering the type of wood and the complexity of the pattern.
- Cleaning and Polishing: Regular cleaning and polishing are essential to maintain the shine and lustre of your parquet flooring. The average cost for professional cleaning and polishing services ranges from RM1.50 to RM3.00 per square foot.
- Preventive Measures: To minimize wear and tear, invest in protective measures such as using furniture pads, area rugs, and floor protectors. The cost of these preventive measures can vary based on the quality and quantity of the products used.
There may be additional costs involved in installing parquet flooring that you should consider when budgeting for your project. Some of these include:
- Subfloor Preparation: The subfloor must be appropriately prepared before installing parquet flooring. This may involve levelling the surface, removing existing flooring, or repairing damaged subfloors. The cost of subfloor preparation can range from RM1.50 to RM5 per square foot, depending on the specific requirements.
- Skirting and Trim: Installing skirting and trim around the perimeter of the room can enhance the overall appearance of your parquet flooring. The cost of skirting and trim depends on the material used and the complexity of the design. On average, skirting and trim can cost between RM3 and RM6 per linear foot.
- Removal and Disposal of Old Flooring: If you are replacing existing flooring, you will need to factor in the cost of removing and disposing of the old material. The cost for removal and disposal can range from RM1 to RM5 per square foot, depending on the type of flooring being removed and local disposal fees.
Tips for Choosing Parquet Flooring
To ensure that your parquet flooring investment is worthwhile and meets your needs, consider these tips when making your decision:
- Assess Your Lifestyle: Assess the amount of foot traffic your floors will be subjected to and the presence of children or pets in your home. Choose a durable wood species and a suitable pattern that can withstand the wear and tear of your daily activities.
- Determine Your Budget: Set a realistic budget for your parquet flooring project, keeping in mind the cost of materials, installation, and maintenance. Be prepared to adjust your expectations or explore more affordable options if your preferred choices exceed your budget.
- Research and Compare: Do thorough research on the various wood species, patterns, and designs available in the market. Consult with professionals to get expert advice on the best choice for your specific needs.
- Request Samples: Ask for samples of your preferred parquet flooring options to better understand the colours, textures, and finishes. Place the samples in the intended space to see how they look under different lighting conditions and against your existing décor.
- Choose a Reputable Installer: The quality of your parquet flooring installation significantly affects its longevity and appearance. Choose a reputable and experienced installer to ensure a professional, high-quality job.
In summary, the cost of installing parquet flooring in Malaysia can vary significantly based on factors such as the type of wood, the pattern and design, and the installation and maintenance requirements. As a rough estimate, you can expect to pay anywhere from RM20 to RM60 per square foot for parquet flooring, including materials, installation, and maintenance. Carefully consider your budget and preferences before embarking on a parquet flooring project. Consult with experienced professionals to get accurate quotes and ensure that your investment in parquet flooring enhances your home's beauty, comfort, and value.